Saturday, August 4, 2012

HHamburg

At the end of July, I spent a week in Hamburg for work.  Hamburg is Germany's second largest city and Europe's third largest port.  Hamburg's official name (Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg) reflects the city's  history as a member of the medieval Hanseatic League and as a free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire.  Hamburg is also one of three German city-states (Berlin and Bremen are the others).

The largest German cities generally use only one letter as the city code on their license plates.  For example, B=Berlin, M=Munich (München), K=Cologne (Köln), F=Frankfurt, L=Leipzig, and S=Stuttgart.  Although Hamburg is Germany's second largest city, H is used by Hanover and Hamburg instead uses HH as a reference to its earlier membership in the Hanseatic League (German: Hansestadt Hamburg).

My coworker Jamie also came on this trip and he brought his family.  In the evenings, we visited a fair at the Hamburger Dom and I got a chance to go to the harbor and take some photos.









The night before we drove home, we went to see the model trains at Miniatur Wunderland.  I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.  It was a lot of fun.











Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Great pics, Paul! Love the neon lights. The mini-world looks cool too. Do they include the little busses that take passengers from the terminal out to the Lufthansa planes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not remember seeing the airport buses...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to visit the German "Paris of the North". When I saw the miniature airplane picture, I thought maybe you were using a tilt-shift lens or photoshop dof effect on normal photographs... but that really is a miniature plane! =) [1] Still nice shallow depth of field.

    Just this week I was talking about the German license plate city letter conventions, and recently I saw "GER" for the city... I thought maybe they were trying to say "Germany" on a German plate... but really it was for the village of "Gera" I heard.

    [1] http://www.thecleverest.com/comparing-photoshops-lens-blur-filter-to-a-real-tilt-shift-lens/ - pardon some of the language

    ReplyDelete