Saturday, May 12, 2012

Work trip to Naples

At the end of April, I spent two and a half weeks in Naples for work.  The view from the hotel was really fantastic.






Driving in Naples was like nothing I have ever experienced.  The streets were an absolute disaster. Small and cobblestone. Potholes everywhere. Garbage piled up in random corners against the walls. Hundreds of pedestrians wandering randomly. Scooters everywhere, darting in and out of side alleys without warning.  I saw entire families riding the same scooter.  Aggressive drivers tailgating and honking the horn. Three lane roads become five wide -- pay no attention to the lane markers. People completely ignore red lights. The police don't care. Really like nothing I have ever seen in my life.  See for yourself (not my video, but it will help you experience Naples like I did):



In Naples, even the dogs ride on scooters.

I spent two weekends in Naples.  We worked during one weekend but during the other weekend, my coworkers and I went to see Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii.  The volcano was just a big dirt hole.  It was hot and there were bugs everywhere.  I thought Pompeii was much more interesting.







After dinner, we drove to the Amalfi Coast.  The roads were small with lots of hairpin turns.  Once we got there, the view was great.  It was amazing to see the buildings built on cliffs and rocks.


I took this photo of Naples after church on Sunday morning.

These fish were for sale at an open-air market.

Naples was a really long trip.  I was glad when it was over.  It was good to come home.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Driving in Germany is probably nice and relaxing now that you've been to Naples...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad I didn't miss much by not visiting Mount Vesuvius, I did enjoy Pompeii though and the Archeological Museum in Naples (where all of the Pompeii artifacts are) - did you by chance visit there too? I have yet to see the Amalfi coast though... it's on the list. =) I've heard stories about the traffic there in Naples and I witness some of that walking around, but my impression of the poverty/dirtiness of the area was on the train ride from Naples out to Pompeii. Italy is so beautiful... but you just have to turn an eye from some of Naples. Rick Steves mentioned a bit about the history of the mafia how the people of the area have for a long time gone "against" or "without concern" for the rules (much the opposite from Germany!) as part of their own societal survival.

    ReplyDelete