Sunday, February 19, 2012

Oscar's baptism

Mormon children are eligible to be baptized when they turn eight (see here for an explanation).  Accordingly, Oscar was baptized on his eighth birthday.  Oscar spent several months preparing for his baptism.  We talked a lot about what it means to be baptized.  We also we discussed answers to questions that were in a "Baptism Book" that the ward Primary Presidency provides to each of the seven year-old children.  We are grateful that Oscar made the choice to be baptized.

The baptismal service was at 6PM at our local church building.  Tina and Calvin said the prayers.  Oscar's primary teacher and one of our home teachers gave talks.  I performed both the baptismal ordinance and the confirmation that followed.




For several months now, Oscar has been asking for his own set of scriptures to take with him to Primary.  Tina and I thought this would be a nice baptism gift so now he has his own set of new scriptures.  I used my first set of scriptures for more than ten years (and I still have them); we hope that Oscar also grows to love the scriptures.  I wrote one of my favorite quotes on the first page.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Look at all those matching ties! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell Oscar that I am so happy to read about his choice to be baptized. Love the family photo AND the ties!

    ReplyDelete